Activities: Economic Growth
- Last Updated on: July 08, 2009
Albanian Center for International Trade (ACIT)
Duration: October 2003 - September 2007 (closed)
Partners: Institute of Contemporary Studies (ISB)
Ministry of Economy, Trade, and Energy
Geographical Focus: National
In order to improve the business environment for private sector-led growth and investment and to strengthen the trade capacity of Albania’s governmental institutions and private businesses to fully and competitively participate in the open global market , USAID supported the establishment and operation of a resource center—The Albanian Center for International Trade.
Implemented by an Albanian NGO, the Institute for Contemporary Studies, the Albanian Center for International Trade (ACIT) aims to:
- Strengthen the institutional capacities of the government, private sector, civil society and media in trade related areas;
- Promote and facilitate public debate and participation of all stakeholders in the trade policy-making process;
- Support the choice of policy options of stakeholders by providing professional appraisals and analyses;
- Provide accurate and timely trade information through its Trade Data Base.
In 2006, the Government of Albania signed a free trade agreement with the European Union under the Stability and Association Agreement. Free Trade Agreements (FTA) with countries in the region worked remarkably well and negotiations are underway to convert them in a single FTA through Central European Free Trade Agreement (CEFTA) enlargement. ACIT assisted to the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Energy (METE) on several aspects of the new trade policies and economic development programs under an agreement between USAID and METE.
For more information, refer to http://www.acit-al.org/
- Foreign Trade Newsletter 2007 [PDF,410.46KB]
- 2007 Foreign Trade Report [PDF, 811KB]
- Foreign Trade Report: 3rd Quarter 2007 [PDF, 231.5KB]
- Foreign Trade Report: 2nd Quarter 2007 [PDF, 985.73 KB]
- Foreign Trade Report: 1st Quarter 2007 [PDF, 690KB]